Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Ewok Scoodie (Free Pattern) by Kristen Stevenson

Well, it took me long enough to get back! Hello! Today, I want to show you a free pattern provided by Raverly! Raverly is definitely one of my top favorite crochet pattern sites, and when I'm searching patterns on Pinterest it's always dominating the search results. And it always seems to come through for me, as demonstrated through this pattern I'm about to introduce you to!

Photo credit: www.whatevo.com
You remember when Disney bought out George Lucas Films? A tragedy for some, but, for me and other Disney fans, something quite interesting and anticipated! Originally, I had convinced myself that I did not like Star Wars (in spite of having not watched any of them other than Episode 1 completely through). But after Star Wars became part of the Disney empire, I had a little talk with myself and reasoned that it might not be a bad idea to at least give the series a try. My boyfriend at the time--who's now my fiance--was eager at the thought of me wanting to watch the series (he's a Star Wars fan!), and was quick to have me over to watch Episode 4. It wasn't bad. Then came Episode 5--BINGO! WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Yes, I liked it. Quite a lot. After watching the originals, we moved on to the prequels. Now, I know why my heart lied: I still did not like Episode 1, but the rest were pretty fine in my book. And the ewoks were cute as you-know-what. I mean, how can you say no to this? Or this? Or even this? Search your feelings: you know that's just too cute.

Anyway, having thought the ewoks were just too cute, it suddenly occurred to me one day if there were any sort of ewok hoodie-scarf-do-thingie crochet patterns out there. I typed in "crochet ewok" into Google and BAM! There's Raverly with a free pattern, designed by Kristen Stevenson. By the way: Thank you, Kristen!!! I really like this pattern, not only because it it simply cute, but it's quite easy to work up. I chose to do things a little different for some parts, such as single crocheting around the finished scoodie (hood + scarf) to satisfy my own tastes. As well as doing this, I also whip-stitched the ends of the scarf together to make an infinity scarf.  I also did a different pattern for the ears. And the yarn: instead of using Lion Brand Wool Ease as recommended by the designer, I used two skeins of I Love This Yarn in #154 "Burnt Pumpkin". Since this is only 4 ply yarn, I worked with both strands of yarn from the two skeins. This made the piece more bulky (and warm) as it was intended to be with the Lion Brand Wool Ease. Honestly, you can use whichever yarn you want, but the reason I went with my choice is because of the cost. If I remember correctly, Lion Brand Wool Ease is at least $6-$7 a skein depending on the store. I Love This Yarn is only $3.99 a skein, even only $3.66 when it's on sale at Hobby Lobby. The yarn I used for the ears is one skein of Yarn Bee Tender Touch in #103 "Sable".

Oh, and here's the ear pattern I used (optional alternative):

Ears (make 2)

Foundation Row: ch 20
Row 1: sc is second ch from hook, sc in each ch across, ch 1, turn (19 sc)
Row 2-7: sc in each ch across, ch 1, turn (19 sc)
Row 8: sc in each ch across, finish off (19 sc)

*Once done, fold piece "hamburger style" and sew up the sides to make the ears. Then sew onto scoodie.

Once you're done with all of this, you also have the option of embellishing your new ewok scoodie. Whether it's an infinity scarf or not, you can use some dark brown yarn to hold the piece closer to your body, or not if you choose not to. I found that using the yarn to draw the piece closer made it warmer and more cozy.

Okay, that's it! I hope you like your scoodie as much as I like mine! Be sure to check out Kristen Stevenson's other patterns HERE (there's a pattern for a baby-sized ewok scoodie too!) Thanks for checking out my blog, and I plan on posting more soon!

Oh, and please, if you would like to share pictures of your project, finished or in progress, please share it in the comments section!!! I would love to see it, and am sure others would, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment